Stovetop Italian Macaroni
It’s not every day that a cost-conscious menu pleases both the eye and the stomach, but this scrumptious stovetop entree does just that.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, water, soup mix, Italian seasoning and, if desired, pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-9 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
Remove from the heat; stir in Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
1-1/3 cups: 410 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 969mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein